Our Top Tips For Getting a Better, Anxiety Free Night's Sleep!
by Dan Sheard on Oct 08, 2020
World Mental Health Day 2020 is the most important one yet. The months of lockdown and loss have had a huge impact on us all, and prioritising mental health has never been more important than it is now.
Here at Pyjamas.com, we want to ensure that every night's sleep is the best it can possibly be! That's why, this World Mental Health Day, (Friday 9th October) we want to share some tips and tricks to ensure that no matter what state your mind is in, your getting the night's sleep you deserve. After all, a rested mind is a happy mind indeed!
Our Top Tips Hit List..
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends.
- Daylight helps set sleep patterns, so try to be outdoors while it's light out for 30 minutes a day.
- Exercise regularly (but not too close to bedtime). An afternoon workout is ideal.
- Keep naps short — less than an hour — and forgo napping after 3 p.m.
- Avoid caffeine (found in coffee, many teas, chocolate, and many soft drinks), which can take up to eight hours to wear off. You may need to avoid caffeine entirely if you have panic attacks; many people who experience panic attacks are extra-sensitive to caffeine.
- Avoid alcohol, large meals, foods that induce heartburn, and drinking a lot of fluid for several hours before bedtime.
- Keep your bedroom cool, dark, and quiet, without distractions like TV or a computer. Avoid using an electronic device to read in bed; the light from the screen can trick your brain into thinking it is daytime. If your mattress is uncomfortable, replace it.
- Reading, listening to music, or relaxing before bed with a hot bath or deep breathing can help you get to sleep.
- If you don't fall asleep within 20 minutes of turning in (or if you wake up and can't fall back to sleep in 20 minutes), get out of bed and do something relaxing until you feel sleepy.
Creating a cosy environment
Okay, technically this step is a few in one, but bare with us, it’s the overall effect that counts!
Lavender Pillow Spray
By now, you would have seen that I love pillow sprays and although I’ve currently used all of the ones I have *sobs* I’m desperate to treat myself to another and let those delightful lavender scent help me drift off to sleep
HOW can you have a good night's sleep if you're unforgettable whilst you sleep? Here at Pyjamas.com, we have an amazing range of pyjamas for the whole family, so you can find the perfect pair!
Headspace or Calm App
Taking some time of focus on your mental health is important. Even if you can't find the time to take a breather during the day, as you drift of the sleep is also the perfect time. Using an app such as Headspace or Calm, can really help you distance yourself for the stress of your day and make it that little bit more easier to drift of to sleep.